Many people don’t get enough omega-3 fatty acids from their diet, as the best sources are cold water fatty fish such as tuna, salmon, herring, and mackerel. One way to avoid missing out on the health benefits of omega-3 fatty acids if you don’t enjoy fish is to take fish oil, krill oil, or similar supplements that provide sufficient amounts of these essential nutrients.
Omega-3 fatty acids are a vital component of brain, muscle, and immune system cells, and so they are critical throughout the body. More specifically, here are 10 benefits of omega-3 fatty acids.
- Prevent excessive blood clotting, which can reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease such as stroke and coronary artery disease
- Reduce inflammation throughout your body. Inflammation is a major factor in prostatitis, heart disease, rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia, multiple sclerosis, and other diseases
- Lower the amount of cholesterol and triglycerides in your bloodstream
- Maintain the fluidity of your cell membranes, which is essential for cells to grow and maintain your health
- Facilitate the ability of your arteries to relax and dilate, good for maintaining normal blood pressure and overall cardiovascular health
- Inhibit thickening of the arteries by decreasing endothelial cells’ production of a substance called platelet-derived growth factor, also good for blood pressure and cardiovascular health
- Reduce the risk of becoming obese by improving the body’s ability to respond to insulin by stimulating the secretion of leptin, a hormone that helps regulate food consumption, body weight and metabolism, and is expressed mainly by fat cells
- Help prevent cancer cell growth, including prostate, esophageal, and colorectal cancer.
- Alleviate symptoms of depression, bipolar disorder, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, and psychosis
- Enhance memory, recall, and reasoning
Read more in our Omega-3 Buyers Guide