Causes of Prostatitis
Medically reviewed by Dr. Paul Song M.D
There are many different causes of prostatitis. Some of them are related to the prostate but many of them come from problems completely unrelated to the prostate itself. That is why it is important to look at the patient and his lifestyle holistically to find out what is going on.
Causes of Prostatitis
We can divide up the myriad causes of prostatitis into two categories:
Bacterial prostatitis causes are related to bacterial infections. Bacteria are responsible for both acute and chronic types of bacterial prostatitis infections. Most commonly, Escherichia coli (E. coli) is responsible, but there are other types of bacteria that are involved as well. About 80% of acute and chronic bacterial prostatitis infections are caused by gram-negative bacteria such as E. coli, Klebsiella pneumonia, Enterobacter, Enterococcus spp., Pseudomonas aeruginosa, and Proteus mirabilis. The other 20% of bacterial prostatitis causes involve sexually transmitted diseases and can be harder to identify and culture.
Nonbacterial prostatitis causes are usually associated with chronic pelvic pain syndrome (CPPS). These cases make up 90 to 95% of all prostatitis sufferers. And it is estimated that about half of CPPS causes are due to problems with pelvic floor muscles or pelvic tension disorders.
A patient’s lifestyle, including his sexual habits, can contribute to causes of this disorder as can diet, allergies, immune disorders, and environmental factors. Even the way one manages stress can cause pelvic tension, inflammation, and pain. Other medical problems present in the body or even complications from past surgeries or injuries can all contribute to chronic prostatitis causes.
It may be challenging to determine the causes of your CPPS symptoms. That is why it is important to work with your doctor when diagnosing prostatitis to consider your lifestyle, diet, and habits.
Once you have narrowed down the possible causes of your prostatitis symptoms, you can start looking at the many different treatment options for prostatitis. If you have bacteria present, you will most likely take antibiotics. There are also several natural prostatitis treatments, such as supplements, that can enhance the effectiveness of the antibiotics, especially if you suffer from chronic bacterial prostatitis. You should also consider taking a men’s probiotic formula to restore your gut health, since antibiotics kill both the bad bacteria and the beneficial bacteria in your body. If your prostatitis causes are nonbacterial, research has shown that the most successful treatment is a multimodal involving many different natural and alternative treatments. What is most important is that you and your doctor narrow down your causes of prostatitis so that you can plan an individualized treatment program and start making lifestyle changes.