Protein bars that taste like candy bars Get 12% OFF your first order plus FREE shipping
Turmeric has a long history as a culinary herb, and it also has been used for millennia in both Chinese and Indian medicine systems for its anti-inflammatory abilities. Scientists have uncovered some other health benefits of turmeric that make it a great addition to your menu.
Here are 6 benefits of turmeric and its active ingredient, curcumin:
- Anticancer abilities: Numerous studies have demonstrated the anticancer properties of turmeric and curcumin, including the ability to block prostate cancer growth.
- Helps digestion: Curcumin induces the flow of bile, which breaks down fats and aids in digestion.
- Relieves irritable bowel syndrome: Turmeric may help reduce the pain and irritation associated with this disease.
- Helps the heart: Several studies show that patients treated with curcumin had less buildup of plaque in their arteries.
- Fights inflammation: Curcumin relieves the pain associated with arthritis by reducing inflammation in the joints.
- Provides antibacterial protection: Turmeric contains volatile oils that may kill bacteria when applied to injuries to the skin
Turmeric can be added to foods when cooking and is included in recipes in The Prostate Health Diet. It can also be obtained through supplements.
Grover AK, Samson SE. Benefits of antioxidant supplements for knee osteoarthritis: rationale and reality. Nutrition Journal 2016 Jan 5; 15:1
Yang J et al. Curcumin inhibits the survival and metastasis of prostate cancer cells via the Notch-1 signaling pathway. APIS 2017 Feb; 125(2): 134-40